Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a query please click on the plus button on the right hand side of each question below to expand the answer.
What is a Learning Disability
A learning disability means that a person has a reduced intellectual ability for their entire life. Those with a learning disability tend to take longer to learn new skills and may require help to understand difficult information and interact with other people.

There are many levels of learning disability and the level of support needed varies just as much. Someone with a mild learning disability may need very little support in their daily life whilst somebody with a profound learning disability may need full¬time care and support with every aspect of their life.

We believe that people with a learning disability should be in control of all aspects of their lives. We provide different types of support to meet your individual wants and needs. How can we support you?

We support people who have:

  • Differing complexities of learning disability like
  • Additional sensory disability and additional physical disability
  • Support needs to manage their own behaviour
  • Autism
  • Additional mental health needs
  • Complex social support needs to maintain their health

If your learning disability is not listed here contact us on 01509 218096 to see how we can support you.

What is Glebe House?
Glebe House is a not for profit organisation that provides a range of services with adults and children with learning disabilities. Amongst other services, we offer day services, support at home, personal assistants, independent living support as well as children’s play schemes, After School Clubs and overnight short breaks.
How long has Glebe House provided services?
Glebe House began providing services to people with learning disabilities in 1983 as part of MENCAP. In the early 1990’s, the charity became an independent provider of services in its own right.
Where is Glebe House based?
Glebe House has four locations based in and around Loughborough and Shepshed. This allows us to provide different types of services to different types of people, in terms of age, ability and what they require support with. People can come to our services from any location but transport costs usually limits our service users to being residents of Leicestershire
Can anyone come to Glebe House?
We welcome anyone who has a learning disability and/or autism to use our services. We need to ensure that we can offer the right service for you so we always invite you in for a chat with the service manager first. We will create a plan based on your requirements and your budget.
If I want to use Glebe House services what do I need to do?
The first step will be to call us on 01509 218096 or email We will then be able to make you an appointment in Loughborough to talk to a manager who can discuss your support needs.
What does it cost to come to Glebe House?

There is a range of services at Glebe House and there is a range of prices. Our adult services prices are based on the Bandings on the new Community Life Choices Framework. Our Children services prices are available upon request. Nearly all of the people who use Glebe House have a personal budget or have a direct payment to pay for services.

What time does Glebe House open?

Most of the Glebe House services run between 8.30-4pm Monday to Friday. However, some services including the Children’s Saturday Club and Weekend and Short Breaks provide support for families who have other commitments outside these hours.

Are there any age restrictions to Glebe House?

The only age restriction is that our Children’s service begins at 8 years old. Our oldest service user is currently 83 years old.

What happens when a child turns 18?
We recognise that there are certain milestones in their life where somebody with a learning disability needs more support and guidance than usual. Glebe House has a Transitions service which aims to provide families with the transition from school into further education and adult services.
Is Glebe House person centred?
Everyone who has a service at Glebe House is helped to create a person centred support plan. This plan gives us everything we need to know to provide the best service to a service user and lets us know exactly what the person wants from Glebe House.
Are staff fully trained?
All of the support staff are trained to provide the correct level of support to the service users. Where a service user has particular needs, which may be support with medication or help to move around, additional training will be given to ensure the needs are met.
How does Glebe House keep people safe?
Our staff recruitment process includes reference checks, Disclosure, and Barring Certificates for everyone, including the Board of Directors. All operational staff have safeguarding training and our policies and procedures are regularly updated to ensure that service users are supported in the safest and most current way. An external Health and Safety company regularly checks all of our buildings and all of our equipment is monitored for safety.
How do I know that Glebe House provides a quality service?
Glebe House has a Quality and Care Manager who oversees the way that quality is maintained and we carry out our own internal checks throughout the organisation. We are also registered with the Care Quality Commission to provide Personal Care and Overnight Accommodation and both were assessed as Good in 2016. Our children’s services are on the Ofsted voluntary register and was assessed as Compliant in 2016. We are also contractually monitored by Leicestershire County Council
How do I know what is happening at Glebe House?

Glebe House has a quarterly newsletter, which lets people know what has been happening and what is coming up in the next few weeks

How do I make a complaint if I am not happy with the service from Glebe House?
Glebe House has a complaints procedure, which is on this website. In the first instance, you should share your concern with the key worker or the manager of the service and they will aim to address any concerns you have. If this does not provide a solution, you will be put in touch with the Chief Executive or a Board member who will discuss the matter with you.
If your question doesn’t appear above please use the get in touch form to email us your query.
Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support